Saturday, August 16, 2008

its pretty bad

its pretty bad when a customer on the phone tells you you need to rest and we arent getting any younger.....that happened yesterday...from a neat lady my age who was buying a gazebo ... she told me i worked too hard....well yea!!!

yesterday i had to deal with the 20 boxes we bought thursday...plus a whole lot of inventory they didnt get put away while i was gone wednesday when we went to decorate the mall booth for fall....
and thursday was kind of hog heaven...a huge pile offered to us....we took a lot of time and looked thru it..it was probably 150 big boxes of stuff....
but i had to bale out on it...it was too much money for my level of knowledge...i just didnt know what the pile was worth...i coyldnt even guess....and im pretty brave....
...so i called in a buddy..
..and he bought it.... the buddy is about 80 and 2 hrs away but when i told him it was 50 boxes of his thing and could he come right down, he said yes.... i dont know if the pile wasworth 3000$ or 8ooo$ but my buddy gave me a $300 group of stuff for calling him!!! and the seller gave me about 200$...
.actually in antiques the math is so wierd....i was supposed to get my pay /comission by asking 4000....but it looked so iffy.and my buddy had driven 2 hrs and i just couldnt buy it.....so, i offered it to my guy for 3500....then he offered the owner 3000....so there went my pay for making the deal happen.......for sure, im satisfied and i have 2 happy people, 2 guys who i have made a whole lot of money on in the last 20 yrs...so thats good...
.my old buddy..80 is what i call old, was in awe...it was the biggest pile he ever bought....
ill probably never know how good it was...i wouldnt ask....his wife said it would keep him busy for a year....i took it home for him in my box truck....
... hes called me every month for over 20 yrs to see what i got for him....im one of his pickers... he gets all my old gold and silver ...he gave me an 18k gold wedding band last year when mine got too tight....
..dh and i have used wedding rings .

back to age....dh sent in my social security today...so i guess im getting it..doesnt seem possible.... i dont feel that old...

back to the store...so all the stuff i got is all over the store, everything was a big mess then at the end yesterday ,ups brought 14 boxes., fall merchandise .from the buying trip to the chicago gift show......so its really bad this morning...and saturdays and sundays i really like the store to look good and not a big cluttered pile....
wade and lisa and i will be working hard this morning....
back to the gigantic pile...i couldnt face about 50 jim beam bottles so i left them for the dumpster...plus a lot of books....

in my pile for the store...i got big morning glory horns , lots of primitives, an old mickey mouse tea set, tools, st clair glass. little showcases, some beat up musical instruments, and a bit of furniture...and a dress dummy.... and an old bell.
this week i felt like an antique dealer again.... a good feeling...hot and sweaty and surrounded by stuff!!

No comments: