Monday, August 4, 2008

what me worry


i have this buddy...he really knows art...and a few years ago promoted a painting he had bought into a wonderful thing that sold at auction for 68,000....it was so beautiful...a little black boy and a pumpkin...by an unknown artist..he showed me a picture of it....right here in indiana....
anyway i just bought a big old painting from a guy it had 2 nice cows in it......it was rough....paint chipped off, it had a fabulous frame with real gold gilt...probably from 1860....the frame was rough too... the size was fabulous...
this morning my buddy bought my cow painting.....at a price that i was very happy with.....
then the doubt sets in.....
i hope it wasnt worth thousands...i cant keep everything i dont know about..i cant research everything..... if he makes thousands on it i hope he doesnt tell me....
about 1000 people passed thru here yesterday and no one bought it....2 considered it...and one called back today...but too late......
..my theory is to handle as much as possible and make a little on everything....im not really expert at anything...we deal in the wide range from fruit jars to art to good furniture and just plain midwest misc.......
my buddies theory is to learn the upper echelons of the antique world as much as possible, and work that...

No comments: